Subject: Workshop on construction mixes

Workshop on construction mixes

From: Anthea Bisson <amphbisson<-at->
Date: Sunday, September 9, 2012
"Deconstructing Construction Mixes"

    England's Ornamental Plastering (EOP)
    The Citadel
    79 North Street
    Portslade BN41 1DH
    (morning

and

    The Regency Town House (RTH)
    13 Brunswick Square
    Brighton and Hove
    East Sussex BN3 1EH
    (afternoon)

Saturday 29 September, 2012
10:30am - 5pm

1-2pm: Lunch nearby (not included in the price)

Price:The day is for a maximum of 21 people:
    Icon Members UKP110
    Student Members UKP95
    non-members UKP130

Booking:To pay and secure a place please contact Claire Daly
<gdsg.events<-at->gmail<.>comor> for more information please contact Gerry
<alabonealabone.g<-at->gmail<.>com>

The RTH is a Grade 1 Listed terraced house of the mid-1820s and its
ornamental schemes display beautiful original lime plasterwork. The
RTH project was established in the 1980s to ensure the conservation
of the house, which is now being developed as a heritage centre and
museum focusing on the architectural and social history of Brighton
and Hove between the 1780s and 1840s.  For further details about the
RTH see

    <URL:http://www.rth.org.uk>

England's Ornamental Plastering provides high quality conservation
and restoration of historic buildings and architectural ornament
using traditional methods and materials and is amongst the finest of
such firms in the UK. Amongst their Clients are the Royal Pavilion,
Sir John Soane's Museum, Goodwood House, Claremont, The Regency Town
House and various National Trust properties. Their 4,000 square foot
workshop is about 2 miles west of the Town House. For further
details about the EOP see:

    <URL:http://www.englandsornamental.co.uk>

Following the success of the Group's two recent events held at the
Regency Town House, we are happy to offer a new hands-on day-long
event once again hosted by RTH Curator, Nick Tyson, and EOP
Director, Neil England.   During this we will hear about recent EOP
and RTH work with an odd variety of 18th and 19th century stuccos,
mastics and artificial stone materials. Specifically, looking at the
published formulas of various mixes, following the original
manufacturing processes where possible and, also, trying more recent
variations of recipes.   We will also explore the use of these
materials as cast products, used in the making of ornament. As the
day offers lots of hands-on practice with a range of materials and
techniques, please bring an apron or similar.

Morning
(at EOP):

    This practical session starts with a historical overview to the
    materials and sets out EOP/RTH interests in them. The group will
    then try making and working with materials, as well as looking
    at the outcome of 'here's some we made earlier' experiments.

Afternoon
(at RTH):

    During this session we will discuss the merits of the various
    material mixes and look at real-world projects where some of the
    materials/derivatives have actually been applied.

Additional information:

    The group will meet at 10.25 outside the EOP workshop.   We will
    transfer by train to Brunswick Square for the second session.

    Gerry Alabone will be on the platform of Victoria mainline
    station ten minutes prior to boarding the 08.47 (change at Hove)
    arriving into Portslade at 10.01 if you would like to meet up
    and travel together.

    From Portslade railway station it is a 15 minutes' walk to EOP.

Gerry's mobile +44 7989 159 777

                Distributed: Friday, September 14, 2012