Subject: Source for stretchers sought--addendum

Source for stretchers sought--addendum

From: Brian McLaughlin <brian.mclaughlin<-at->
Date: Monday, September 10, 2012
Just to update everyone on the feedback I have received with regards
this post and to thank everyone who contacted me with their help and
information. To make clear, I was more interested in the stretcher
makers who make stretchers with corner bridle joints instead of
mitred corner joints. The workshop I have been using over the years
Richard Manning, has very recently suspended production and Barry
Wilson, another popular supplier of these type of stretchers has
very recently retired.

At present, from what I can glean, the only stretcher maker I can
find who makes these type of stretchers on a regular basis as a
going concern is Philip Watkins.  (There is no internet contact with
Philip).

    Philip Watkins
    Unit 34
    Cromwell Centre
    Staffa Road
    Leyton
    London E10 7QZ
    +44 20 85561857

There are a number of companies making stretchers with mitred corner
joints in the UK, but not many who make the type of 'Victorian'
stretchers with corner bridle joints. I spoke to a few suppliers
suggested to me, but the ones I did speak to have no plans at
present to introduce this type of stretcher. I have discovered a
conservator who has a joiner/crafts person who will make the wider
bespoke stretchers with corner bridle joints for him, but at present
not as their sole trade.

If I am mistaken on any of these points I will be happy to share any
new information that comes to light.

Brian McLaughlin BA (Hons) MA ACR
Painting and Restoration Studio
The WASPS Factory