Subject: Epoxy for outdoor granite sculptures

Epoxy for outdoor granite sculptures

From: Janet Reinhold <info<-at->
Date: Monday, September 10, 2012
Meaghan Eley <meaghan.eley [at] gmail__com> writes

>The sculptures are all about 1.5 - 2 feet tall, carved from granite,
>and joined with stainless steel pins and epoxy. The epoxy used was
>Tenax Rivo 15.
>
>... The concern is that the epoxy
>used might not allow for seasonal expansion and contraction of
>materials, causing the art to loosen at the joints and making it
>easier for pieces to be twisted off. ...
>Does anyone have experience with either of these epoxies? Or, this
>type of failure after such a short time exposed to the elements? Do
>you have any recommendations for another type of epoxy that might
>stand up to the seasonal changes more effectively? ...

I am interested in this thread because we have always used silicone
sealant (non corrosive type) for our stainless steel time capsules,
and the reasoning was the same, to "allow for seasonal expansion and
contraction of materials." I hope we chose well.

They are not used as sculptures, and we recommend against that, but
rather are often buried for many years. We sell the RTV 7500
SIL-FLEX in 4 ounce tubes, our #82001. It is neutral cure (oxime),
and Silco, Inc. (manufacturer) says it features 50% joint movement
capability and permanent flexibility. Temperature ranges are -62
deg. F to 350 deg. F continuous use. It is clear and cannot be
painted.

Janet Reinhold
Future Packaging and Preservation
Covina CA