Subject: X-ray equipment for archaeological materials

X-ray equipment for archaeological materials

From: Konstantina Tsatsouli <nantiat<-at->
Date: Monday, September 3, 2012
The Japanese Institute of Anatolian Archaeology (Kaman - Turkey) is
in the process of searching for a suitable X-ray machine. We are
trying to work out the specifications such equipment should have for
the analysis of archaeological finds (mainly metals, but also
ceramics). Therefore, we would like to hear opinions/experiences
from colleagues as to the kV and mA range as well as to whether they
prefer digital or traditional plate imaging. I understand that some
of the X-ray machines have fixed mA. Have colleagues found that to
be a problem? Would they rather have an X-ray machine with
adjustable mA? Suggestions on specific models are welcomed.

Konstantina (Nadia) Tsatsouli, MSc
Field Conservator
Kaman-Kalehoyuk, Yassihoyuk, and Buklukale Excavations
Japanese Institute of Anatolian Archaeology
Kaman, Kirsehir, Turkey

                Distributed: Saturday, September 8, 2012