Subject: Dacron

Dacron

From: Chris McAfee <mcafeeck<-at->
Date: Wednesday, August 29, 2012
Lisa Fox <lisa.fox<-at->sos<.>mo<.>gov> writes

>We are looking for a source for Dacron material, at least 72 inches
>wide, to be used in backing oversized documents.  ...
>I assumed we could replace it easily from a local fabric store, but
>no one carries anything like it anymore.
>..
>I wonder what type/brand of fabric other paper conservators are
>using now for "Dacron linings". ...

We had a similar experience in our conservation lab. I was training
the other conservators on how to do a Dacron lining but whatever
Dacron we had was gone. So I went searching for Dacron only to find
it couldn't be found. After doing some research and finding that
Dacron was polyethylene terephthalate which is a resin of the
polyester family, I went to the local fabric store and found
polyester with the same physical characteristics of the Dacron we
had used.

I later found instructions in our files that indicated that "Dacron
or polyester fabric" could be used.

Hope that helps,

Christopher McAfee
Senior Conservator