Subject: Sealing tape

Sealing tape

From: William Minter <wminter<-at->
Date: Saturday, August 25, 2012
Mirjam Liu <mirjam.liu [at] nasjonalmuseet__no> writes

>At the National Museum for Art, Architecture and Design in Oslo
>(Norway) we use a sealing tape on the verso of glazed paintings
>(from backboards to picture frames).  The function of this tape is
>not to create a fully sealed micro climate, but to reduce dust
>accumulation between the painting and the glass ...

I was looking for a sealing tape for temporary jigs and as a closure
for rolls of book cloth. I contacted 3M and their recommendation is
a #8898 tape. Apparently it is used by appliance manufacturers to
secure loose parts on new products during shipping. It is designed
to release cleanly without leaving a residue. I have no idea of its
long-term aging properties.

William Minter
William Minter Bookbinding and Conservation, Inc.
4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury PA 16695
814-793-4020
Fax: 814-793-4045