Subject: Dyeing parchment

Dyeing parchment

From: Maudie Gunzi <maudiegunzi<-at->
Date: Wednesday, August 22, 2012
I am a student from Camberwell College of Arts, studying an MA in
book conservation, and I am currently volunteering at the Victoria
and Albert Museum.

I am working on a book at the V&A which is made from a very stiff
bright green parchment and I am getting to the stage where I will
need to repair the spine with a new piece of parchment. We have
looked into the possibility of using other materials such as tissue
and Tyvek, but due to the nature of the repair and the stiffness of
the parchment, we have returned to parchment at the best option.

I wondered whether anyone might have any advice on dying parchment?
Or perhaps some articles that may come in handy?

I have never done it before, so I am really looking for any
information, such as what paints to use, etc.

Maudie Gunzi
+44 7743447701

                 Distributed: Saturday, August 25, 2012