Subject: Staedtler Mars plastic erasers

Staedtler Mars plastic erasers

From: Zach Long <ztlong77<-at->
Date: Tuesday, August 21, 2012
Sandy Hempe <sandy.hempe [at] sos__mo__gov> writes

>...  On their website, on the erasers page,
>is the following, "Discover the Staedtler erasers with an improved
>formula for superb results when erasing graphite, ink and drawing
>ink on matte drafting film and overhead transparencies."  This
>doesn't leave me much hope that we just received a bad batch.
>
>Has anyone else noticed a difference in the new Staedtler erasers,
>or does anyone have any information about what might be going on
>with the Staedtler erasers? ...

In the "Details" section of the Mars eraser webpage, Staedtler now
says that the erasers are "Phthalate and latex free". Studies of
these erasers have always noted a phthalate plasticizer
(di-iso-decyl phthalate) so it seems that they have changed their
formula.

Zach Long
Graduate Student
Buffalo State University