Subject: Staedtler Mars plastic erasers

Staedtler Mars plastic erasers

From: Rachel A. Mustalish <rachela.mustalish<-at->
Date: Monday, August 20, 2012
Sandy Hempe <sandy.hempe [at] sos__mo__gov> writes

>Has anyone else noticed a difference in the new Staedtler erasers,
>or does anyone have any information about what might be going on
>with the Staedtler erasers? ...

Upon noticing the change in manufacturer and scent of the new
erasers, I also started some inquiries.  They are now manufactured
by a completely new company that Prismacolor, the new owner
distributes.  I have also discussed this with Bill Minter, who
grinds and sells grated vinyl erasures to the conservation community
who knows of this change of manufacturer. I have asked our
Scientific Research department to undertake some testing to look at
the volatile components and the make up of the new eraser. Results
will be released as soon as possible.

Rachel Mustalish
Conservator
The Sherman Fairchild Center for Conservation of Works on Paper and
    Photographs
The Metropolitan Museum of Art
1000 Fifth Avenue
New York NY 10028