Subject: Adhesive for photographs

Adhesive for photographs

From: Peter Geraty <pgeraty<-at->
Date: Monday, August 20, 2012
Corinna Herrmann <corinna.herrmann [at] stadt-frankfurt__de> writes

>Since I cannot find out the ingredients of the glue stick, I would
>prefer another product. The product will have to be photo-safe, easy
>to apply, stored at room temperature, and available in Germany or at
>least Europe. Any ideas?

We have been using Lascaux 498 HV for several years to mount
platinum and silver gelatin photographs into bound volumes we make
for a publishing company.  The advantages are;

    The photos can be tipped directly with minimal adhesive and
    allowed to dry in place (which is quick)

    The adhesive can be put on the photos, allowed to dry and then
    put in place using a tacking iron (they can also be removed with
    a tacking iron)

    The adhesive is easily and completely removed with acetone

    It doesn't cause cupping as water based adhesives can

We have not tried to remove photos which have been in place for
years so I can't speak to the long term reversibility but maybe
someone else can.

Peter Geraty
Praxis Bindery
1 Cottage Street, Unit 18