Subject: Tin cans

Tin cans

From: Joseph Edith <edith.joseph<-at->
Date: Monday, August 13, 2012
The HE-Arc conservation-restoration (Neuchatel, CH) propose to
investigate the degradation phenomena of tin cans that are preserved
in museum collections.

The principal objectives are:

    To develop a treatment methodology which respects the aesthetic
    and cultural values of these composite objects,

    To propose solutions in terms of preventive but also curative
    conservation-restoration.

The project will be carried out in collaboration with
conservator-restorers from the Alimentarium (Vevey, CH) and the
Museum of Ethnography (Neuchatel, CH), food technology experts from
the Life Technologies Institute (HES-SO Valais Wallis). This list is
not exhaustive and we are seeking for others partners interested.

In particular, the proposed research work will consist in

    Examining the cultural value acquired over the years by tin cans

    Identifying the principal problems of conservation-restoration
    of these objects in different museum collections

    Defining the relation between the observed degradation and the
    environmental conditions or the tin cans composition (materials
    used, food, etc.)

    Understanding the degradation phenomena of both containers and
    contents

    Proposing different possible preventive and curative
    interventions of conservation-restoration

For the proposal that will be submit on 1 October, 2012 we should
evaluate the relevance of this subject among stakeholders, such as
internationally recognized museums. Therefore, we would be glad if
you could shortly indicate us the amount and conservation state
(content, degradation, etc.) of tin cans in your collections.

These contributive tasks could be summarized as followed:

    Participation to a round table about the values acquired over
    the years by tins, sharing your experience with tins for
    example. Comments/suggestions on the elaboration of a small
    survey to assess the most widespread conservation practices
    currently in use for tins: user-friendliness, pertinence of the
    questions.

    Answering to the survey

    Comments/suggestions on the elaboration of new treatments or
    protocols, sharing your experience.

    Testing of the developed treatments or application of the
    preventive conservation protocols.

Of course, you are free to accept one or more tasks.

We would like also to ask if you would be interested in supporting
this project and being mentioned as possible participant and/or
end-users institution.

Thank you for your time, consideration and prompt reply.

Edith joseph
Adjointe scientifique Recherche Appliquee et developpement
Haute Ecole Arc Conservation-restauration
Espace de l'Europe 11
CH-2000 Neuchatel
+41 32 930 19 05
Fax: +41 32 930 19 20