Subject: Samurai Armor

Samurai Armor

From: Leila Mazzon <leila.mazzon<-at->
Date: Tuesday, August 7, 2012
I am a Masters student from Lincoln University, UK currently working
on a MA dissertation on the conservation of Samurai armour. My main
area of focus is to look at the materials involved in the
conservation process and contrast the way we do the treatments with
the way Samurai armour is conserved in Japan.  I am looking to do a
comparative study of how we may tend to prefer minimal intervention
and reversibility and how Japanese conservators may favour cultural
integrity. I will include 3 case studies of armour conservation in
the UK (British Museum, V&A and Royal Armouries).

Material on Japanese way of conserving is very scarce in English and
it is hard to find additional information on the materials present
apart from the lacquerwork. So if anyone has any advice or good
references to suggest I'd be happy to hear it.

                 Distributed: Saturday, August 11, 2012