Subject: Funori

Funori

From: Joseph R. Swider <jswider<-at->
Date: Monday, August 6, 2012
Robert Proctor <wpfineart [at] artconservators__com> writes

>... 0.1 gram of the dried
>material was then redissolved in 10 mL distilled water and warmed in
>a small bain de marie. After about 2 hours I noticed it had turned
>an orange-pink color! Has anyone else seen this or have an
>explanation? As one may imagine, I am hesitant to ever use funori
>now.

I co-authored a paper in JAIC with Martha Smith, former paper
conservator at the Freer/Sackler Galleries reviewing the use of
funori. Martha used funori extensively and we accumulated a list of
how several different laboratories prepared it.

JAIC 44 (2005):117-126

Joe Swider
Senior Research Scientist
McCrone Associates, Inc.