Subject: Melinex

Melinex

From: Kerri Sancomb <kerri.sancomb<-at->
Date: Monday, July 30, 2012
I am looking for information on possible alternatives to Melinex
polyester that can be used with the ultrasonic welder. This spring I
encapsulated 60 large posters that were hung in the glass stacks
tower of the Beineck library using 4mil and 5mil Melinex. The weight
of the 4mil and 5mil Melinex was essential structurally. I am happy
with the hanging solution--the curator didn't want the formal
appearance of the frame, and it is doubtful that the channel mount
in the ceiling could have supported the weight of all these posters
in frames. A significant problem with the posters that are hung on
the first floor is that the light from the exterior marble courtyard
creates reflections on the mylar that significantly obscures the
view of the poster.

I was wondering if anyone has experience using or knows if there is
any non-glare/matte material that can be used with the ultrasonic
welder. I have just begun my research into alternative materials and
thought that I would put some feelers out to those who have worked a
lot with encapsulating oversized material.

The challenge is for the material to be non-reflective/matte, able
to be welded on the ultrasonic welder, and available in equivalent
weight/size to the 4mil and 5mil 40 x 100 inch Melinex.

Kerri Sancomb
Exhibits Preparator
Special Collections Conservation
Yale University Library