Subject: Light exposure histories

Light exposure histories

From: Abigail K. Stevens <abigail.k.stevens<-at->
Date: Wednesday, August 1, 2012
At the Whitworth Art Gallery we are currently discussing an
alternative approach to lighting our artworks, based upon maximum
annual exposure limits, rather than specifying a precise lux level
according to material. As part of this project I am attempting to
work out the average annual lux hours experienced by some of our
artworks thus far, based on the number of loans/exhibitions they
have been part of, and the duration of those exhibitions. However I
am encountering the obvious problems; for example we do not know for
sure the exact light levels the artworks have been exposed to during
every single exhibition, we don't always know the exact dates of
some of the earliest exhibitions and so on. Then there are more
general questions such as 'do we add on a certain number of lux
hours per year to represent an artworks time in storage?'.

I was wondering if anyone else has/is attempting a similar project,
and what their experience has been? What problems they may have
encountered; what assumptions they make and so on? Any comments on
how best to put together a light history retrospectively would be
greatly appreciated.

Abby Stevens
Preventive Conservator
The Manchester Museum and The Whitworth Art Gallery
+44 161 306 1590
+44 7825 011 011

                 Distributed: Saturday, August 4, 2012