Subject: Paper used by Charles Meryon

Paper used by Charles Meryon

From: Cobus van Breda <cobus.vanbreda<-at->
Date: Monday, July 23, 2012
I am trying to find out more about two papers used by the French
artist Charles Meryon (1821-68). The first is I believe a 19th
century French paper that enjoyed considerable use by numerous
artists associated with Auguste Delatre (including James McNeill
Whistler). It is a medium weight, cream coloured paper, modern laid,
of very even consistency with the watermarks 'HALLINES', 'HUDELIST',
sometimes accompanied by a crest with the letters 'HP'. The second
paper is intimately associated with Meryon. It is a light greenish
(verdatre) coloured paper, of light to medium weight, possibly
antique laid, with a somewhat soft and 'felt' like surface and
uneven consistency. I have examined two etchings by Meryon on this
paper and one exhibits a 'papermakers tear' (thin circular area due
to a water droplet on the newly formed sheet) and what appears to be
the impression of a drying rope. I am guessing this is an 18th
century paper. Apparently the Art Institute of Chicago has in its
collection an impression of "La Morgue" (IV state) by Meryon on this
greenish paper with the watermark 'Morel/Laverne'. I would be very
grateful for any suggestions.

Cobus van Breda
Paper Conservator
Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery