Subject: Spirit frescoes

Spirit frescoes

From: Jade Maloney <j_maloney<-at->
Date: Tuesday, July 24, 2012
I am a Masters student in conservation at the University of Lincoln.
For my final research topic I am focussing on the history,
identification and conservation of spirit-frescoes, alternatively
referred to as the Gambier Parry process, a type of mural painting
that enjoyed brief popularity in the 19th century.  The system of
painting includes the preparation of the ground (stone, plaster,
slate, wood and canvas have been used) with a wash composed of elemi
gum, turpentine, copal varnish, wax and oil of spike lavender. This
medium, minus the turpentine, is also used to prepare the pigments.
I'm interested in anyone who has knowledge on this process and most
importantly anyone who has undertaken conservation treatment of such
murals and is willing to share the materials/methods used with me.

I am also interested if anyone has encountered examples of this
process--perhaps under an alternative name--outside of the British
Isles. There are historical references to its use in France and
other areas within Europe but I have been unable to identify any.

Jade Maloney
Conservator of Decorative surfaces
Conservation Student, UOL
Intern, Cricksmith UOL