Subject: Freezing autochromes

Freezing autochromes

From: Gwenola Furic <gwenola.furic<-at->
Date: Friday, July 27, 2012
I am a French photography conservator and I'm working on a museum
project of freezing nitrate negatives, for long lasting
conservation.  I intend to follow the instructions of Sue Bigelow
(Cold Storage of Photographs at the City of Vancouver Archives,
2004), but I have some questions about autochromes on nitrate film
base (Filmcolor). The museum conserves a little collection of 200
stereoscopic photographs that are Filmcolor mounted between 2 sheets
of glass and also a collection of around 50 unmounted Filmcolor
autochromes.

Is it possible de freeze autochromes on nitrate film base? If so, is
it preferable to freeze the mounted filmcolor ambrotypes like they
are, or do I need to dismount them?

Gwenola Furic
Conservation-restauration du patrimoine photographique
29 rue du Paradet
35600 Redon

                   Distributed: Sunday, July 29, 2012