Subject: Funori

Funori

From: Bettina Landgrebe <landgrebe<-at->
Date: Monday, July 23, 2012
Robert Proctor <wpfineart [at] artconservators__com> writes

>... 0.1 gram of the dried
>material was then redissolved in 10 mL distilled water and warmed in
>a small bain de marie. After about 2 hours I noticed it had turned
>an orange-pink color! Has anyone else seen this or have an
>explanation? As one may imagine, I am hesitant to ever use funori
>now.

I know that the natural seaweed can range in color from light brown
to orange. The Lascaux purified Jun Funori should be absolutely
colorless or at least was translucent and without color when I used
it on matte paint surface.

Lascaux purified Jun Funori is available at Talas.

Bettina Landgrebe, conservator
The Chinati Foundation
PO Box 1135
1 Cavalry Row