Subject: Trend toward closing university library conservation labs

Trend toward closing university library conservation labs

From: Maureen K. Sharp <msharp<-at->
Date: Wednesday, July 18, 2012
I have been told my supervisor that there may be a trend starting
toward closing university library conservation labs as the materials
requiring physical treatment dwindle in the age of e-books, digital
preservation, etc.   I can believe it of labs that treat only
circulating collections, but what of those treating special
collections materials?  I would really like to know if anyone else
has heard or experienced this, or if your experience is to the
contrary, where you are adding space to existing facilities, or
building new lab space, or adding staff for conservation.

Maureen Sharp
Collections Conservator
Archives and Special Collections
Purdue University Libraries