Subject: Charles Chapuis

Charles Chapuis

From: Ann Hoenigswald <a-hoenigswald<-at->
Date: Wednesday, July 18, 2012
As part of ongoing research into the history of 19th century
restoration I am particularly interested in the work of Charles
Chapuis (1861-?) He has been linked to Edgar Degas and the dealer
Ambroise Vollard and worked privately in Paris on many
impressionist, post impressionist and early modern paintings. I am
eager to know if anyone has come across his stamp on the back of
paintings or references to him in letters, journals, treatment
records, etc. He is not to be confused with his uncle Claude Chapuis
-also a restorer. However any references to Claude are valuable as
well. In a broader context I would also appreciate being directed to
any labels, descriptions or references to "scientific restoration"
in the 19th century.

Ann Hoenigswald
Senior Conservator of Paintings
National Gallery of Art