Subject: Water diverters

Water diverters

From: Valerie Tomlinson <vtomlinson<-at->
Date: Friday, July 20, 2012
Sharlane Gubkin <sxg7 [at] case__edu> writes

>At our library we have experienced 3 separate water leaks over the
>last 10 years in the exact same place affecting many books in the
>collection. Each time we were assured the problem was repaired and
>could not re-occur, only to have it happen again a few years later.
>Our building is 12 years old and has a flat, rubber roof; the recent
>leak was caused by a burst air-conditioning pipe, but the water came
>in at the same place.

In my experience, never believe anyone who says a leak will never
happen again. It always does. The source may be different, but the
cracks and travel path for water still exists. Put in some sort of
preventive measures whenever possible.

Valerie Tomlinson
Conservator
Auckland War Memorial Museum