Subject: Isinglass

Isinglass

From: Mar Gomez Lobon <info<-at->
Date: Tuesday, July 17, 2012
Joana Devesa <jmd.joana [at] gmail__com> writes

>I am a master student and I am currently studying different filling
>materials.  I would like to know if anyone uses isinglass (sturgeon
>glue adhesive) as a binder for fills.  Why is isinglass not commonly
>used as a binder to the filler?

I have been using sturgeon glue as a binder for fills for a few
years. I use it for traditional oil paintings, especially if I have
used isinglass as a consolidant previously.  I normally use 5%
concentration and add champagne chalk (calcium carbonate) while
still warm until reaching desired consistency. There is a good
article explaining the use on sturgeon glass as a filler in the
Technical Exchange section of WAAC Newsletter Vol 21 no. 2,
available online.  I am not sure if it is widely used as a filler,
maybe its higher cost than other binders such as gelatin might be a
factor preventing some conservators from using it.

Mar Gomez Lobon
Paintings Conservator
Artco - Art Conservation and Museum Services
PO Box 148
Launceston
7250 TAS
Australia