Subject: Conservation program for a mid-sized university library

Conservation program for a mid-sized university library

From: Susan M. Moon <smoon<-at->
Date: Thursday, July 12, 2012
I have been asked to find out if there are active
conservation/preservation programs for university or college
libraries of about 3 million volumes with written guidelines for
such a program. The UCSB Library will be undertaking renovation
project and will be adding a new building which will include a
conservation lab, so this is an ideal time to look to the future and
plan a program we can implement and be ready when construction is
complete.

Materials in the UCSB collection include: books, maps, plans,
photographs, sound recordings (from wax cylinder to CD-ROMs), DVDs,
CD-ROMs, video cassettes, scrapbooks, artists' books, manuscript
materials, etc. We currently do quite a bit of reformatting
(cylinders) and digitizing (photographic collections, rare books,
maps) as well as re-housing, creating phase boxes, pamphlet binding,
double-fan, adhesive binding, encapsulating, and re-backing.

Any documentation will be welcome regarding administration,
staffing, equipment, etc., for a preservation program.

Susan M. Moon
Head, Arts Library
UC, Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-9010