Subject: Water diverters

Water diverters

From: Sharlane Gubkin <sxg7<-at->
Date: Wednesday, July 11, 2012
At our library we have experienced 3 separate water leaks over the
last 10 years in the exact same place affecting many books in the
collection. Each time we were assured the problem was repaired and
could not re-occur, only to have it happen again a few years later.
Our building is 12 years old and has a flat, rubber roof; the recent
leak was caused by a burst air-conditioning pipe, but the water came
in at the same place.

I do not feel comfortable just reshelving the books in the same area
now that it has leaked there for the third time. I was wondering if
anyone had experience with the installation of a water-diverter over
stack areas affected by repeat water problems, and if so, would be
willing to share detailed information about the design, installation
and effectiveness.

Sharlane Gubkin
Preservation Officer
Kelvin Smith Library