Subject: Survey on fur

Survey on fur

From: Sarah Owens <owenss<-at->
Date: Wednesday, July 11, 2012
I am conducting a survey for my Andrew W. Mellon Postgraduate
Conservation Fellowship research project at the Smithsonian National
Museum of the American Indian. This survey aims to assess the
materials and techniques used to treat fur objects and clothing,
specifically the use of stitch support and adhesives for tear repair
in fur. Results from this survey will be a contributing part of my
research project on Yup'ik fur parkas and I hope to subsequently
publish the results.

The questionnaire is in three sections, the first exploring the
types of fur objects and clothing treated, condition issues, and
storage. The second part explores conservation treatment of fur,
including cleaning fur, stitch support, adhesive treatment, and fur
loss compensation. The third section looks at the decision not to
treat, Native repairs, and consultations with Native artists.

Thank you for taking the time to complete this questionnaire, your
response is greatly appreciated.

To fill in the questionnaire please see

    <URL:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?fromEmail=true&formkey=dFBkZ0pMYzk1eG9XUHBnWXMwc0NBRkE6MQ>

Sarah Owens
Andrew W. Mellon Fellow in Textile Conservation
National Museum of the American Indian
Smithsonian Institutions
NMAI Cultural Resource Centre
4220 Silver Hill Road