Subject: Call for papers--Icon Ethnography Group

Call for papers--Icon Ethnography Group

From: Emilia Kingham <ekingham<-at->
Date: Friday, July 13, 2012
Call for Papers
Icon Conference 2013
"Positive Futures in an Uncertain World"

In partnership with the University of Glasgow

Icon Ethnography Group is hosting a half day session at the ICON
Conference 2013, Glasgow, focusing on the shared materials between
Ethnography and Natural History collections.  From plant to animal
materials, Ethnographic and Natural History conservators frequently
treat objects containing these shared materials.  How is the
approach to treating these objects different or similar?  Can
Ethnographic and Natural History conservators share techniques, and
do they? We would like to use the similarity of materials as a
starting point in order to explore approaches to the ethics,
treatments and research relating to both Ethnographic and Natural
History collections.  Moreover, can we increase our skills by
actively collaborating over projects and research? Topics may
include, but are not limited to: how pesticide-treated objects are
managed within collections; pest damaged fur and feather objects and
the options for reattachment; fading of organic pigments or
mitigating damage from previous conservation treatments.

Deadlines for papers: Please send abstracts, maximum 300 words, by
10 September 2012 to emiliakingham<-at->gmail<.>com

Paper presentations are expected to last for approximately 20
minutes. Please include the names, addresses and email addresses of
all authors and indicate the author for correspondence.

Papers will be selected by 10 October 2012.

Bookings open 1 September 2012.

Deadline for submission of papers to special conference issue of the
Journal is 28 February 2013.

Publication: Conference papers will not be published but authors are
invited to submit their papers for consideration for publication in
the Spring 2014 issue of the Journal of the Institute of
Conservation. Further information will be available on our website.

Emilia Kingham
Junior Clothworkers Fellow
Conservator - Organics
The British Museum