Subject: Isinglass

Isinglass

From: Robert Proctor <robert<-at->
Date: Tuesday, July 10, 2012
Joana Devesa <jmd.joana<-at->gmail<.>com> writes

>I am a master student and I am currently studying different filling
>materials.  I would like to know if anyone uses isinglass (sturgeon
>glue adhesive) as a binder for fills.  Why is isinglass not commonly
>used as a binder to the filler?

Used as a binder to the filler?

We have been using sturgeon glue in our fills for years and find
them to be superior to the gelatin traditionally used. They are more
flexible, shrink less on drying, less reactive to changes in R.H.
our standard recipe is as follows. 1 gram sturgeon glue 9 ml
distilled water. Warm and mix in 1:5 kaolin/guilders whiting until
the desired is achieved. Some times it is necessary to add a bit of
warm water during mixing process to make up for evaporation.

Robert Proctor
Whitten and Proctor Fine Art Conservation
1236 Studewood Street
Houston, TX 77008
713-426-0191 (phone/fax)

                   Distributed: Monday, July 16, 2012