Subject: Theatrical stage models

Theatrical stage models

From: Chris French <chris.french<-at->
Date: Friday, June 8, 2012
Catherine Fayter <catherinefayter [at] hotmail__co__uk> writes

>The National Theatre Archive is looking to gain some perspectives on
>the storage and display of theatrical stage models. Ideally we would
>like to design a format for a collapsible box that can fold down
>revealing the stage model within. If anyone has any experience of
>creating or using a structure like this, we would appreciate
>comments on the viability and strength of such designs and
>recommendations for materials.

CXD can make museum boxes to special designs. We have made several
different designs for various fragile models, for example three part
boxes for Blaschka models which had trays to slide the item out
without needing to be removed from the box. We also made some
special boxes for V&A Theatre Museum models, those were made from
Plastazote foam and had a removable lid at the front. The models
could be slid out of the box and on to the upturned lid, which sat
level with the inside of the box forming a support. A notched hand
grip was welded to the base of the box for ease of handling and
ensuring that it was kept the right way up.

We can usually modify existing designs to meet special requirements,
and we have a range of materials available which meet archival
standards.

Lesley Jones
Conservation By Design Limited
+44 1234 846300