Subject: Foundry repair techniques

Foundry repair techniques

From: Scarlett Hutchin <scarlett.hutchin<-at->
Date: Friday, April 27, 2012
I am undertaking an MA project investigating the historic foundry
repair technique of casting-on (or casting-in).

I am seeking access to objects containing cast-in repairs for case
study. It would be a great help to my research if anyone on the
DistList who is involved in the care of a UK collection containing
appropriate objects would consider granting me access for a brief
examination.

I had been under the impression that this technique had not been
used in Europe for a long time, but have recently discovered that it
is still in use by some practicioners.  If anyone can suggest
appropriate objects, source material or any literature with
reference to this or related techniques, in any time period, their
help would be greatly appreciated.

Scarlett Hutchin
Postgraduate Student, Metals Conservation
West Dean College
West Sussex, England.

                  Distributed: Friday, April 27, 2012