Subject: Tide lines on paint and ground layers

Tide lines on paint and ground layers

From: Katrine S. Scharffenberg <katrine<-at->
Date: Thursday, April 26, 2012
I am an MA student in Conservation Studies at the University of Oslo
working on a project concerning tide-lines in a painting by Edvard
Munch, and more generally their impact on paint and ground layers on
unvarnished paintings.

My investigation material is an approximately 0.45 meter tide-line
on a large scale painting of Edvard Munch, dating 1909-1916, from
the University of Oslo's assembly hall, the Aula. As a part of the
research, I would like to gather information from museums and
collections with similar material with similar damages, to
understand what has already been done in this field. Responses on
the following questions will be received with great gratitude:

Do you have any registered paintings from the period 1890 to 1940
with tide-lines/water damages?

What are the materials of the painting(s)?

Do you know the cause for the damage?

Have any of the registered tide-lines/water damages undergone
investigation/analysis or treatment?

Could the investigation/analysis or treatment tell anything about
the effect of the tide-line/water damages on the paint and/or ground
layer?

Katrine S. Scharffenberg
Project-based master student, Conservation Studies
University of Oslo
Holegutua 49
N-2760 Brandbu
Norway