Subject: Lecture on marbling

Lecture on marbling

From: Jeffrey Altepeter <bookbinding<-at->
Date: Thursday, April 19, 2012
Lecture:

"Chemically Altered: Historic Paper Marbling"
North Bennet Street School, Boston
Monday May 14, 2012
6 pm

Speakers: Garrett and Gretchen Dixon from The Marbler's Apprentice

<URL:http://www.marblersapprentice.com>

This presentation is free and open to the public.

Directions available at

    <URL:http://www.nbss.edu>

The Dixons specialize in historic marbling, particularly 18 century
and early-mid 19th century papers.  They utilize the water color
pigments and techniques that were in use from the introduction of
paper marbling in Europe in the 16th century through the 19th
century.

During this special event we invite you to bring your one or two of
your own examples of historic marbled papers--we all have
interesting papers in or on bindings that are either typical or
unusual.  The Dixons will devote some time to examine and discuss
the papers you bring and hopefully we will all learn from the
sharing.

In addition, Garrett says he will "discuss the history, patterns,
and fabrication techniques for the group of what I refer to as
chemically-altered patterns of marbled paper:  Stormont, Shell,
Broken, Romantic, Schroetel, Tiger eye.  These patterns all involve
the use of chemical additives to the watercolor paint in order to
achieve their effect.  These patterns were popular from the end of
the 18th century through the 19th century.  We will show examples of
the patterns, both original and our reproductions, and discuss some
of the difficulties encountered in trying to decipher the old
recipes.

This presentation is another installment in our NEGBW lecture series
hosted by North Bennet Street School and will be one in a series of
events at the school highlighting a few of our more unique
suppliers. Watch for future events at NBSS with parchment makers and
tanners, paper makers, and more.

You can keep track of NEGBW activities at
<URL:http://negbw.wordpress.com>. Contact Jeff Altepeter
<bookbinding<-at->nbss<.>org> with questions or for more information:

                  Distributed: Friday, April 20, 2012