Subject: Positions at Science Museum, London

Positions at Science Museum, London

From: Langfeldt Jannicke <jannicke.langfeldt<-at->
Date: Thursday, April 5, 2012
Project Conservators (two posts)
Science Museum, London

Project Conservator
Shipping Gallery Decant Conservator

Fixed Term contract starting 8 May 2012, until the end of January
2013

Project Conservator
Making Modern Communications

Fixed term contract starting 8 May 2012 until September 2014.

The Science Museum is world renowned for its historic collections,
awe-inspiring galleries and inspirational exhibitions. The new
Making Modern Communications gallery is a major permanent gallery
development due to open in Autumn 2014. This gallery will be on the
third floor of the museum where the shipping gallery is currently
located. The shipping gallery will be closed to the public in May
2013.

The Science Museum is seeking two flexible and enthusiastic
Conservators to provide high quality conservation treatments and
advice. The post-holders will be based in London at the Science
Museum in South Kensington and at Blythe House, our small to medium
size object store in Kensington Olympia. The post-holders may also
be required to occasionally work at Science Museum Wroughton, our
large object store near Swindon.

The Shipping Gallery Decant Conservator will support the decant of
the existing shipping gallery and work with the decant team
supervising contractors, returning loans to owners, carrying out
emergency conservation and preparing the objects in the gallery for
move to storage.

The Conservator for Making Modern Communications will support the
development, conservation and installation of objects for Making
Modern Communications. This post will conserve and prepare objects
for events, give preventive conservation advice, conserve new
acquisitions, conserve objects from the collections for display,
advice on loans and carry out other duties relating to the new
gallery.

Requirements for both conservation posts:

    A recognised conservation qualification or similar experience
    will be supported by demonstrable skills in interventive and
    preventive museum object conservation across a broad spectrum of
    materials. Experience working with scientific, technological,
    engineering, modern materials, medical or similar collections is
    an advantage, as well as working with exhibitions installation
    or decant.

    Ability to supervise contractors, volunteers and conservation
    interns, provide advice and support to the project team and
    colleagues working within the exhibitions, documentation and
    curatorial teams.  The role will also support collections hazard
    work relating to the project

    You will have excellent interpersonal skills and be confident
    communicating with a wide range of people.  Your will have
    demonstrable skills in problem solving and prioritising, which
    will be supported by your previous experience within a museum
    and cultural heritage environment

    You will be able to demonstrate the ability to plan and execute
    your own work programmes, provide statistics and promote high
    conservation and collections care standards. The ability to use
    Collections databases (Mimsy XG) and practical expertise in
    object handling, COSHH and risk assessment will be essential.

For further information about the Science Museum, a full job
description and details of how to apply, please visit

    <URL:http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/vacancies>

If you have any specific questions please e-mail Jannicke Langfeldt
<jannicke.langfeldt<-at->sciencemuseum<.>org<.>uk>

We welcome applications from all sections of the community in which
we work.  We particularly welcome applications from disabled people
and we guarantee interviews to suitably qualified disabled
applicants.

These roles are funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Closing date 15 April 2012

Interviews will be held on 24 April 2012 and 30 April 2012

Please note that I work part time, my working days are Monday to
Thursday.

Jannicke Langfeldt
Conservation and Collections Care Manager
Science Museum
Exhibition road
London SW7 2DD
+44 207 9424124