Subject: Self adhesive tape for framers

Self adhesive tape for framers

From: Tim Vitale <tjvitale<-at->
Date: Wednesday, April 4, 2012
An excellent framer that I work with asked an important question the
other day: Could he borrow some P90 for hinging, because he ran out.
I explained that paper conservators generally don't recommend the
use of Filmoplast P90; see the following for a specification sheet

    <URL:http://talasonline.com/photos/adhesives/filmoplast_p90.pdf>

I've forgotten why we don't use P90, but I believe its because the
adhesive hardens over time and either become difficult to remove or
drops away.  I don't use it, so don't really know what happens.  He
doesn't use it for obviously valuable artworks, but for everything
else.  I couldn't argue other than deliver boilerplate, so I said I
would put it up for discussion on the DistList.

I recommended he make and use "Lascaux 498 on Okawara," cut into
long strips. Where he could use either heat (tacking iron at about
125 deg F) or acetone to activate the adhesive.  I recommend using
Tap Plastic's Preval Disposable Spray unit ($6, excluding solvent)

    <URL:http://www.tapplastics.com/product/supplies_tools/fiberglass_tools_supplies/preval_disposable_spray_unit/173>

with a couple ounces of acetone sitting next to the glass cleaner on
the workbench, to active the small hinges when "just" ready to apply
them.

He felt it was just too much work and wanted a recommendation for a
manufactured self-adhesive tape he could use routinely for
everything but obvious artworks.  His other choices were (a) Lineco
Hinging Tissue and (b) Lineco Document Repair Tape.  Does anyone
have IPI PAT results for these, or related products.

I found interesting discussions on a framers discussion list at

    <URL:http://www.thegrumble.com/archive/index.php/t-33383.html>

And, the following on "is P90 strong enough" at

    <URL:http://www.thegrumble.com/showthread.php?60498-Is-P-90-strong-enough>
    Look at #8

and a similar discussion on "artist tape" on photo.net at

    <URL:http://photo.net/black-and-white-photo-printing-finishing-forum/00Zy5t?unified_p=1>

The following PDF was also informative of materials being
recommended to framers by vendors

    <URL:http://www.rinaldin.it/eng/Cat_eng/17_Conservation.pdf>

I noted on this vendor's catalog page, which lists all Filmoplast
tape products, that "Lineco Hayako Gummed Paper Tape" appears to
pass the PAT, but no such claim was made for the Filmoplast products

    <URL:http://www.mnsupplies.com.au/frames-products/conservation-products.html>

Thanks for you help.  He deserves our help if we can.

Tim Vitale
Oakland, CA

                   Distributed: Sunday, April 8, 2012