Subject: Course on leafcasting parchment

Course on leafcasting parchment

From: Franziska Richter <f.richter<-at->
Date: Monday, March 12, 2012
Course
"Leaf Casting of Parchment, The 'Wouters Method' Simplified"
Centro del bel libro, Ascona
June 4-6, 2012

Taught by Kerstin Forstmeyer, Senior Conservator at the Institute
for the Preservation of Archives and Library materials, Ludwigsburg
Germany

Among other topics, she will present a new modified recipe that is
based on the "Wouters Recipe". Through years of intensive practice
she and her team have been able to simplify this procedure making
this method much more accessible for restorers who work with
severely damaged parchment objects without the need for expensive
equipment and without the high costs usually associated with this
method. Participants will be able to profit immensely from an expert
with many years of experience and who enjoys sharing her knowledge
with others.

Instructor: Kerstin Forstmeyer
Language: German with English translations
Duration: 3 days

Course description: In this course we will learn about the various
aspects involved in stabilizing and leaf casting on deteriorated and
brittle objects made from parchments.

We will begin by introducing and comparing various methods of leaf
casting parchments known in conservation today and we will learn
about the pros and cons of each method. Participants will also learn
about a new modified recipe that is based on the "Wouters Recipe",
which has the advantage of being free of formaldehyde and does not
require the expensive equipment that is traditionally needed when
using this method.

In the practical part of this course we will learn the various
application procedures of making and applying the suspension, either
directly on the suction table or indirectly by creating a loss
repair piece that then gets attached to the object in a second step.
The difficult art of colour matching the repairs will also be
covered in this course.

This is an intermediate level course suitable for conservators who
have some prior experience in the conservation of parchment and are
familiar with customary equipment like a suction table.

Course fee: 420,00 CHF (Swiss francs)
Admission Policy: Limited to 6 participants

For course registration contact our office: info<-at->cbl-ascona<.>ch

For specific information concerning the courses contact
f.richter<-at->cbl-ascona<.>ch

Course location: Ascona is situated on the lake of Maggiore in the
southern part of Switzerland, famous for its beauty and its
mediterranean climate. It is a popular vacation area with a southern
European flair. To learn more about the area and possible
accommodations, visit the website of the Tourist Office
Locarno/Ascona:

    <URL:http://www.ascona-locarno.com>

Further information about accommodations can also be found on

    <URL:http://www.cbl-ascona.ch>

Franziska Richter
Centro del bel libro,
Head of Department Book and Paper Conservation
CH-6612 Ascona
+41 91 791 81 56
Fax: +41 91 791 81 30

                  Distributed: Friday, March 16, 2012