Subject: Storing oversized maps

Storing oversized maps

From: Amy Elizabeth Baker <aeb59<-at->
Date: Monday, March 5, 2012
We have close to 100 oversized maps (5 feet x 20 feet) (150 cm x 600
cm) that will require a support core for final storage. I have been
researching different storage methods with some colleagues to find
the most cost-effective solution that will provide the most benefit
for the maps. Storage solutions range from $8 to $400 per map (UKP5
to UKP250).

What types of support cores have you used for oversized
paper/photograph or textile items? What diameter and length?

Do you use an isolating layer between the support core and the item?
Why and what degradation mechanism are you trying to
prevent/isolate/mitigate?

What core and isolating layer do you find to be most cost-effective
for your collections?

What top (protective) layer do you wrap around the outside of the
item?

How to you label or ID each item?

What is the storage set-up? (Shelves, suspended on rods, core inside
a core, stacked rolls, vertical or horizontal)

Storage solutions that conservators have shared with me include:
Using non-archival cores (PVC, sonotubes, metal cores, bubble wrap,
foam, cardboard) and wrapping the item without an isolating layer
(buffered tissue, permalife, bookcloth, mylar, tyvek, hollytex,
muslin or marvel seal) and wrapping the outside with a protective
layer (muslin, tyvek, mylar or hollytex).

What combination do you find most useful and why?

Thank you so much for your response. After research is complete I do
plan on sharing our results with the list.

Amy Baker Williams
Conservator
University of Pittsburgh
ULS Preservation Dept.