Subject: Locating termite infestations in wood

Locating termite infestations in wood

From: Colin P. Smith <inholms1<-at->
Date: Tuesday, March 6, 2012
Heather MacKay <heather.mackay [at] austmus__gov__au> writes

>...  I am
>interested in investigating the possibility of using thermal or
>moisture sensors, or detection radar (coupled with or without
>imaging techniques) to locate infestations within wooden artefacts.

As you will appreciate the detection of dry wood termites is
sometimes very difficult. Temperature has a large part to play as I
have found infestations in an air conditioned Opera house in Spain
which had been there for many years, undetected. In conservation you
could face a similar situation. Having used many of the various
methods available, my preference is to use a portable X ray unit.
This is the most discreet method and can give very accurate
information.

Colin Smith
Colin Smith Conservation
Inholms Cottage