Subject: Monitoring air quality

Monitoring air quality

From: Shannon Coles <shannon.coles<-at->
Date: Friday, March 2, 2012
The Archives of Ontario is in process of re-evaluating our current
air quality monitoring system used for our archival storage vaults.
We currently monitor at a parts per billion (PPB) level but we have
been asked to consider parts per million (PPM) due to the complexity
and associated cost of maintaining our current system.

I am interested in learning what standard other institutions,
particularly archives and libraries, are using for particulates,
sulphur dioxide, ozone and nitrogen oxides. If you are using PPB how
long have you been using this standard? Have you had any issues with
equipment maintenance, longevity etc?

Shannon Coles
Conservator
Preservation Services