Subject: Kama oil sticks

Kama oil sticks

From: Andrea Reichert <aj_reichert<-at->
Date: Thursday, March 1, 2012
An artist-friend has been working with Kama oil sticks on 300gm
Arches Velin and is concerned about the overall stability of the oil
sticks over time.

The oil sticks are locally made here in Montreal by Kama Pigments.
According to their web site they are made from "100% pigment, wax
with virtually no siccatives or solvents added".

    <URL:http://www.kamapigment.com/PDF/KAMA.Handmade.oil.paints.EN.complete.pdf>

I've contacted the manufacturer for the technical data sheets but
they are not forthcoming with the information. I am wondering if
anyone has any experience with this product or can comment generally
about the stability of oil sticks in general. In the past, my
artist-friend has applied the sticks directly to the rag paper but
is wondering if it might not be better to apply gesso to the paper
or apply additional sizing to the paper. Of course the gesso would
change the look, feel and integrity of the paper but he is willing
to make this change if it results in a more stable end-product.

Andrea Reichert
Paper Conservator/Restauratrice de papier
1680, rue De Champigny
Montreal, Quebec H4E 1M1

                  Distributed: Saturday, March 3, 2012