Subject: Polyurethane sculpture

Polyurethane sculpture

From: Carmela Lonetti <lonettic<-at->
Date: Monday, February 27, 2012
I have a solid machined polyurethane sculpture coated in shiny black
automotive paint, made in 2006, that looks as though it has started
to "melt" causing misshaping of the original sculpted form.

The underlying material is not currently soft or spongy (but may
have been when the process started). The paint layer is not crazed
nor cracked and has just taken on the form of the new shape beneath
it.

The sculpture is in an outdoor environment (size 2.0m X 1.8m) on a
stone plinth.  It was designed to be robust enough to be displayed
outdoors.

Please let me know if you have any information that will assist me
in this situation.

Carmela Lonetti
Objects Conservator.
Centre for Cultural Materials Conservation
University of Melbourne.

                  Distributed: Saturday, March 3, 2012