Subject: Locating termite infestations in wood

Locating termite infestations in wood

From: Heather MacKay <heather.mackay<-at->
Date: Tuesday, February 28, 2012
The Australian Museum has recently treated several wooden artefacts
for termite infestation, specifically drywood termite.  Frass
collected from under one artefact was consistent with that of West
Indian drywood termite Cryptotermes brevis (Walker).  I am
interested in investigating the possibility of using thermal or
moisture sensors, or detection radar (coupled with or without
imaging techniques) to locate infestations within wooden artefacts.
I would like to hear from anyone who may have used or looked into
using such techniques on artefacts and whether it was successful and
if any surface damage occurred during the process. There are
articles written pertaining to the use of such techniques to locate
termite (usually subterranean) infestations within historical wooden
building structures, however I am unsure if research has extended to
wooden artefacts as well and further, to drywood termites. Any
comment/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Heather MacKay
Objects Conservator
Materials Conservation Unit
Australian Museum
6 College Street Sydney NSW 2010 Australia
+61 2 9320 6104
Fax: +61 2 9320 6070

                  Distributed: Saturday, March 3, 2012