Subject: G-S Hypo Cement

G-S Hypo Cement

From: Georgia Harvey <georgia.harvey<-at->
Date: Tuesday, February 28, 2012
I was wondering if anyone has come across the acrylic adhesive G-S
Hypo Cement <URL:http://www.gssupplies.com/cement_hypo.html> and may
be able to comment on its aging properties and general
appropriateness for use in conservation? A colleague picked up a
tube recently from a jeweller's supplier. We have located the MSDS
online, but haven't been able to find anything about its potential
use in a conservation context. It claims to 'dry clear, stay clear'
and has apparently been in use since the 1930s. If anyone has any
information on stability, reversibility/retreatability etc. we'd be
very interested to hear.

Georgia Harvey
Conservator of objects
National Gallery of Victoria