Subject: Preventing insect infestation in archaeological collections

Preventing insect infestation in archaeological collections

From: Ercole Gialdi <egialdi<-at->
Date: Saturday, February 25, 2012
Heather Cline <heather.n.cline [at] wv__gov> writes

>We are currently exploring two options for more effective, and time
>efficient, methods of insect control for incoming collections:
>
>    Anoxic chamber
>    (fumigation (CO2) chamber) often called "the bubble."
>
>    Freezing using a specialized freezer]

Anoxia is the most versatile method to prevent and fight insect
infestation in museums, archives and libraries. There are several
reasons for this. First of all is effective and easy to be used.
Second it can be applied both to small and large objects (the
personnel of the museum can manage in total health safety the
system).

I agree that monitoring is important but the final goal is always to
eliminate the source of potential damage; whatever the infestant
specie and its level of life. The atmosphere absent of oxygen is
100% effective in eliminating the pests.

Almost 10 years ago the European Save Art project (Italy, Sweden,
Spain, and England) have been carrying out the project to
certificate the method. The outcome was VELOXY,
<URL:http://www.rgi-genova.com>, machinery that sieved the air to
create almost zero 02 concentration. In these years VELOXY was
improved under a lot of aspects (dimensions, efficiency,
reliability, etc.)

These improvements were conceived upon the suggestions of the end
users. A number of VELOXY application were carried out and it can be
said that at the present VELOXY is the state of the art.

Should you need further details feel free to contact me

Ercole Gialdi
RGI
Genova Italy

                  Distributed: Saturday, March 3, 2012