Subject: Removing brass polish residue

Removing brass polish residue

From: Dominique Rogers <do<-at->
Date: Monday, February 27, 2012
Marysara Naczi <mnaczi [at] gmail__com> writes

>I am a conservation intern trying to determine the most effective
>way to safely remove polish residue from a large collection of
>historic brass objects.  Many of these objects are incised or
>pierced with residue in the interstices. ...

I have found that working some (comestible) oil on the residue and
then washing with hot water did work quite well. Since now I live in
France, there is a traditional soap sold in supermarkets called
"Savon Noir" which contain linseed oil, does a grand job and as long
as one removes all of it with very hot water or a suitable
detergent, it works beautifully *but* somebody should perhaps look
into it more closely before applying it to historical artifacts.

Dominique A. Rogers, MA. BSc (Hons), ACR
Lieu-dit Maubin
47200 Beaupuy
France
+33 533 000 501