Subject: Sandstone effigy

Sandstone effigy

From: Ailsa Murray <ailsa.murray<-at->
Date: Monday, February 20, 2012
I am currently investigating the remains of Polychromy on a 13th
century Bishops' sandstone effigy from Elgin Cathedral in North East
Scotland. There is evidence of pinkish red tone in the robes
(identified as Vermillion), a black and grey key pattern border
decoration and gold, around areas of the head which may correspond
to some kind of strap holding on the Bishops' Mitre. I am interested
to know of any other investigation of contemporary effigies which
has been carried out and any information regarding the type of
costume worn by such a figure to help build a clearer picture of how
the effigy may have originally appeared. The effigy is going to be
redisplayed and new interpretation material included to accompany
the piece.

Any helpful reference would be greatly appreciated.

Ailsa Murray
Paintings Conservator
Historic Scotland Conservation Centre
7 South Gyle Crescent