Subject: Rare Book School

Rare Book School

From: Elizabeth Ott <elo2be<-at->
Date: Monday, February 13, 2012
Rare Book School Summer Schedule

Rare Book School is pleased to announce our Summer 2012 course
schedule. Rare Book School (RBS) provides continuing-education
opportunities for students from all disciplines and levels to study
the history of written, printed, and born-digital materials with
leading scholars and professionals in the field.

Highlights of the summer schedule include two new courses G-55:
Scholarly Editing: Principles and Practice, taught by David Vander
Meulen of the University of Virginia, and L-25: Reference Sources
for Researching Rare Books, taught by Joel Silver of the Lilly
Library at Indiana University; Two courses taught by Rare Book
School's Founding Director Terry Belanger, including I-30: Advanced
Seminar in Book Illustration Processes; and the newly renamed H-15:
The History of the Book in America: A Survey from Colonial to
Modern, taught by Michael Winship of the University of Texas at
Austin.

4-8 June 2012 in Charlottesville, VA

    H-30: The Printed Book in the West to 1800
    Martin Antonetti

    I-20: Book Illustration Processes to 1900
    Terry Belanger

    H-70: The History of the Book in America, c.1700-1830
    James N. Green

    L-30: Rare Book Cataloging
    Deborah J. Leslie

    L-70: XML in Action: Creating Text Encoding Initiative (TEI)
    Texts
    David Seaman

11-15 June 2012 in Charlottesville, VA

    H-60: The History of European and American Papermaking
    Timothy Barrett and John Bidwell

    G-30: Printed Books since 1800: Description and Analysis
    Tom Congalton and Katherine Reagan

    L-65: Digitizing the Historical Record
    Bethany Nowviskie and Andrew Stauffer

    G-45: Analytical Bibliography
    Stephen Tabor

    G-55: Scholarly Editing: Principles and Practice *New Course*
    David Vander Meulen

2-6 July 2012 in Charlottesville, VA

    I-30: Advanced Seminar in Book Illustration Processes
    Terry Belanger

    M-10: Introduction to Paleography, 800-1500
    Consuelo Dutschke

    L-95: Born-Digital Materials: Theory and Practice
    Matthew Kirschenbaum and Naomi Nelson

    H-90: Teaching the History of the Book
    Michael F. Suarez, S.J.

    G-20: Printed Books to 1800: Description and Analysis
    David Whitesell

16-20 July 2012 in Charlottesville, VA

    H-10: The History of the Book, 200-2000
    John Buchtel and Mark Dimunation

    G-50: Advanced Descriptive Bibliography
    Richard Noble

    I-35: The Identification of Photographic Print Processes
    James M. Reilly
    assisted by Ryan Boatright

    L-10: Special Collections Librarianship
    Alice Schreyer

    B-10: Introduction to the History of Bookbinding
    Jan Storm van Leeuwen

23-27 July 2012 in Charlottesville, VA

    M-20: Introduction to Western Codicology
    Albert Derolez

    H-40: The Printed Book in the West since 1800
    Eric Holzenberg

    L-25: Reference Sources for Researching Rare Books *New Course*
        Joel Silver

    G-10: Introduction to the Principles of Bibliographical
    Description
    David Whitesell

    H-15: The History of the Book in America: A Survey from Colonial
    to Modern
    Michael Winship

Details for all courses, as well as our application form, can be
found on

    <URL:http://rarebookschool.org>

Elizabeth Ott
Program Assistant