Subject: Nori Yasutomo starch paste

Nori Yasutomo starch paste

From: Shannon Zachary <szachary<-at->
Date: Tuesday, February 21, 2012
Theresa Fairbanks <theresa.fairbanks-harris [at] yale__edu> writes

>We are also interested in finding a practical way for
>non-conservators to tip in book plates and were interested in others
>experience. Methyl cellulose is certainly an option for plating, but
>it doesn't stick very well The plates sometimes fall off.

We have used sodium carboxymethylcellulose for attaching bookplates
and for a variety of situations where we know the person doing the
paper repair won't or can't cope with managing cooked starch paste.
See the article:

    Cathleen A. Baker.
    Sodium carboxymethylcellulose (SCMC) re-evaluated for paper, book,
    papyrus, and parchment conservation. Book and Paper Group Annual
    26 (2007), pp. 177-185.

As Dr. Baker explains in her article, SCMC--unlike
methylcellulose--has good adhesive properties. SCMC can also be used
to make a re-moistenable repair tissue.

Shannon Zachary
Head, Preservation and Conservation
University of Michigan Library