Subject: Alternative to xylene

Alternative to xylene

From: Stephen Koob <koobsp<-at->
Date: Tuesday, February 21, 2012
Raymond A. Spiteri <raymond.a.spiteri [at] gov__mt> writews

>We are seeking a less hazardous alternative to xylene to be used in
>solvent mixtures and for dissolving acrylic resins like Paraloid B72

Besides the question of toxicity, the question of solvent choice
seriously affects the Tg and applicability (as has been mentioned).
But what has not been noted, is how the solvent choice also affects
the viscosity. Solutions of 5% B-72 in toluene are twice as viscous
(or thick) as those in acetone (published by Rohm and Haas), and
therefore the solution does not penetrate as well, as a consolidant.
I have not seen data for solutions in xylene, but I suspect, given
that it is a larger molecule, the viscosity is even higher.

Stephen Koob
Chief Conservator
The Corning Museum of Glass
One Museum Way