Subject: Polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP)

Polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP)

From: John W. Burke <jb<-at->
Date: Monday, February 20, 2012
Johanna Molin <johanna.molin [at] helsingborg__se> writes

>I have a question concerning the use of polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP).
>Our technicians want to use it when attaching paperboard and MDF in
>our display cases, some of them climate controlled containing metal
>objects. Have any one experience using PVP and does anyone know
>about its ageing stability? If so, are there any problems that can
>occur concerning our objects?

PVP or povidone is an interesting water-soluble white powder that
forms clear viscous and tacky solutions at high concentrations.  Its
low toxicity has led to use as a food additive and blood extender,
though apparently there have been allergic reactions in rare cases.
PVP is the principle ingredient of glue-sticks as can be identified
by its unique scent (buttered oatmeal?).

Many years ago I was looking into its use as a synthetic paste
modifier, but quickly found that its hygroscopic nature led to
adhesive failures with increases in humidity. A short conversation
with Bob Feller, who predicted crosslinking based on molecular
structure, ended that investigation. I'm not aware of the results of
any Oddy tests, which would seem like a good idea.

                 Distributed: Friday, February 24, 2012