Subject: Preventing insect infestation in archaeological collections

Preventing insect infestation in archaeological collections

From: Heather Cline <heather.n.cline<-at->
Date: Monday, February 13, 2012
We are a new state archaeological collections management facility,
opened in 2008. All incoming collections are placed in an isolation
room.  Sticky bait traps, placed at strategic locations, are used to
detect and control insects.  Collections are monitored for six weeks
before placement within permanent storage.

We are currently exploring two options for more effective, and time
efficient, methods of insect control for incoming collections:

    Anoxic chamber
    (fumigation (CO2) chamber) often called "the bubble."

    Freezing using a specialized freezer]

We understand there are pros and cons to both options.

Do anoxic chambers kill *all* insects?

Any comments regarding the use of the anoxic chamber and/or freezing
for insect control would be greatly appreciated.

Heather Cline, Lead Curator
Grave Creek Mound Archaeological Complex
Research Facility
801 Jefferson Avenue
Moundsville, WV 26041

                 Distributed: Monday, February 20, 2012